Are you required to register?
Registration Guidelines for Foreign Nationals in India
- Register is done on long term VISA i.e. VISA valid for more than 180 days.
- If the VISA is either of the following type
(a) Employment (b) Missionary (c) Student (d) Research
- Registration to be done within 14 days of arrival in India.
- If the VISA is either entry “X” of Business (BV) or other categories of long term Visa registration is required if the stay or intended stay is more than 180 days. In that case registration to be done with the concerned registration office well before the expiry of 180 days.
- No registration is required for Tourist VISA holder as they cannot stay continuously for more than 180 days in a single visit.
- Registration to be done with concerned FRO/FRRO in whose jurisdiction the foreigners is residing.
- Those on Medical VISA (M or MX) are required to register themselves within 14 days irrespective of the duration of visa.
- This is not applicable to Pakistani, Afghan and Bangladeshi Nationals. Pakistani nationals would require to get themselves registered within 24 hours and Afghan Nationals within 7 days of arrival. For BD Nationals, the requirements of registration will be governed as per India-BD agreement.
Note: Non-registration within specific period will make the visitor liable to a penalty of Rs. 1395/- in Indian Currency.